Friday, November 25, 2011

A Perfect Storm

The Perfect Storm


(This post is dedicated to my friend, Katherine, who is battling cancer right now).

Sometimes I think I should be an expert in this area, but I must admit, I have never raised children, so I suspect I have a stunted view of this. ( : I think it is just the "human condition". Maybe we all get good at weathering life's storms throughout our lives. I really don't know.


I am one of those who believes we all have a destiny, we all have a part to play in the great production that God has written. This is why I believe that when tough times come upon us and the ones we love, they are 'perfect storms'. No matter how big or how small these storms are in our lives, they are just as they were designed to be. Just for us; for just this particular time in our life. Or as the popular phrase these days, "for such a time as this".

Storms can vary from minor one's; such as one of the horses went through the electric fence, rendering the rest of the electric fence useless to keep the bull and several cows contained and they are now stampeding through you neighbours garden (OK, maybe that's not so minor), but on the other side, a storm can be an illness in the family such as a young mother battling cancer or an accident where someone becomes unable to walk and must live in a wheel chair the rest of their lives or battling depression.

Yes, I am a bit of an optimist and believe everything happens for a reason and we have the ability to grow stronger as we get through those 'perfect storms" in our lives. I know I have. Sometimes things have gotten so bad that I cry out, why me?! Can't I have a break? Can I have some 'blue skies' for just a little while!? The funny thing is that those blue skies do come eventually. They always do for me. I am thinking that it is my attitude to see the good in things. The optimist in me. This leads to the idea that we can become what we believe.

Everyone has met that grumpy, disgruntled person who is never happy and always complaining about something; mostly its about what terrible things have happened to them, illness and how terrible their life is.(Have you noticed that you don't want to be around them, as if they are contagious or something - actually they can be)!


In contrast, we have also met those 'happy-about-everything people' that seem to shine all the time. The ones that you want to be around. Yes, these happy people experience life's perfect storms too! If you look at other people's lives and think that they are doing so much better than you, think again. Everyone experiences bad times. Its all how you look at things. Its about your attitude towards adversity. Your coping mechanisms. And I believe it really helps to know who God is and that this is only the beginning of the great adventure. It is what helps me. Yes, its hurts here (in this world) sometimes, but, as the Bible promises (God's word), there is a reward for the ones who persevere, stay strong and keep the faith. There will be no storms in that place. Only perfect peace. For now I will weather the perfect storms as they roll into and through my life.

"Adversity is the diamond dust Heaven polishes its jewels with". Thomas Carlyle

This sunrise photo has great meaning to me. I was taking this photo at the same time that my life was going to change drastically. I was about to walk into a 'perfect storm'.
 To me it is a reminder of God's grace. That he knew what I was about to face and I had this recording to remind me that He was in control and there is always hope.


No comments:

Post a Comment