Monday, December 12, 2011

Living Waters

Living Waters - 9" x 12" Mixed media on stretched canvas, black gallery floating frame.
Currently on display and sale at The Art Gallery of Lambeth until end of January. You can contact them directly by clicking on the link.

Just a reminder to anyone who had planned on ordering anything from me directly or through Ebay.ca and Daily Paint Works sites; this is the last week that you could have the item sent to you in time for Christmas with Expedited and Express delivery through Canada Post!


In regards to the previous blog post " Learning to Dance", a friend of mine sent me this link to the Sistine Chapel in Rome. It is a digital virtual 3D view inside the chapel where you can 'toggle' around to view it from every angle with your mouse. When I was there in 1986, there was so much scaffolding that I could not see 3/4 of it. In fact, the room was closed to most of the public except for special student groups (such as mine). The fresco had grown dull and dirty over the centuries so need special, careful cleaning. I am glad that they did it because it is now more vibrant and more like it would have been when it was freshly painted. Can you imagine what it must have been like to see it for the first time!? It would have equaled the 'virtual technology' that we marvel at today (and that we can use to see it, even across the vast ocean and land that separate us from it now).  This virtual technology is a blessing!


Quote of the Day;




Michelangelo's letter to Giovanni on Painting the Sistine Chapel Ceiling;

To Giovanni da Pistoia, July 1510
by Michelangelo Buonarroti

I've grown a goiter by dwelling in this den -
As cats from stagnant streams in Lombardy,
Or in what other land they hap to be -
Which drives the belly close beneath the chin;
My beard turns up to heaven; my nape falls in,
Fixed on my spine: my breast-bone visibly
Grows like a harp: a rich embroidery
Bedews my face from brush-drops thick and thin.
My loins into my paunch like levers grind:
My buttock like a crupper bears my weight;
My feet unguided wander to and fro;
In front my skin grows loose and long; behind,
By bending it becomes more taut and strait;
Crosswise I strain me like a Syrian bow:
Whence false and quaint, I know,
Must be the fruit of squinting brain and eye;
For ill can aim the gun that bends awry.
Come then, Giovanni, try
To succor my dead pictures and my fame,
Since foul I fare and painting is my shame.
 
I believe he was also successful at painting a picture with words!

No comments:

Post a Comment