Friday, February 3, 2012

Seeing the Melody



The pursuit of truth and beauty is a sphere of activity in which we are permitted to remain children all our lives.

 
Albert Einstein






Hazy Afternoon - 8 " x 10" Acrylic on paper - Ebay auction here. SOLD


Since I was a child, I have had a sense of God in nature; in the wilderness. I always knew He was there. I can't explain it, but it was more than a child's imagination. As I grew up, I searched for the evidence so I could show this to others, not to prove it to myself, but to others who are searching for answers.  I found Him in the patterns, delicacy, complexity and the raw strength. I tend to be a details person and find myself looking at a leaf from a tree up close, studying the lines of its veins, the hues of its colors. I never in my wildest imagination thought of music in my searching. I may have hummed a tune or two while on my quests, but to actually see a melody in nature (other than the birds singing); it did not occur to me.


Recently I have been studying landscape painting with a Canadian artist and instructor online and have found something miraculous! I have learned to see God's symphony in the world of nature all around me. I no longer look for the details of evidence in a forest of trees. I can now see His evidence while gazing at it from afar. I see it everywhere now. Just when I thought I had nothing more to discover, I have found more - Something that was lost to me.


Like the unravelling of a secret mystery, there is so much more beauty to be discovered if you know HOW to see it.


It took me learning to paint landscapes to learn about 'melodic lines' and those melodic line opened the door to another world for me. Now I understand why a sunset is so amazing to gaze upon, or a high mountain lake, or a thick forest in fall. God designed it just for us! He wrote this music and I now see how He put it all together. This symphony has been hidden from me, in my subconscious. Even though I loved and appreciated nature and gazing upon amazing cloud formations or view of a valley floor from the top of a mountain, I now see it as melodic lines, shapes, complimentary colors, hues, sometimes subtle, melding together off in the distance and the symphony plays on.


Thank you Johannes Vloothius for helping to open our eyes to the 'new world' around us.


Now that I can see the melodic lines in a treeline, it is my job to translate that to the best of my ability to paint on canvas. To know which melodies will be the most popular, most pleasing to our eyes. To chose the 'greatest hit' out of so many possibilities and to maybe say something important and profound in the process.


Now I am feeling challenged; now my heart is bursting; seeing the melody.

Late Light - 8" x 11" Acrylic on paper. Ebay Auction. SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment