Friday, June 22, 2012

Painting For the Birds

I have a confession to make...my husband jokingly calls me 'the bird lady'. I have a room in our home dedicated to my feathered friends. I have always had a fascination with birds, from a young age and had a little teal blue budgie name, Tico, when I was around 10 years old. I trained him to sit on my finger and my shoulder and he would 'preen' my hair. He was my little friend.

Fast forward (a few years, ok) and I now have several small parrots and breed the Linniolated Parakeet (there is one baby in the nest right now). I just enjoy their chatter and a couple of my parrots are quite proliferate talkers. I have discovered that birds are actually very smart! They do understand thing...but at a 3 year human level...which can be challenging at times!

Anyways...I do like all birds and owls are near the top of the list.

In the photo below, I am working on a piece of a family of Burrowing Owls, inspired by my visit to the Okanagan Desert and the Burrowing Owl Winery in Oliver. Burrowing Owls were re-introduced to the South Okanagan after they disappeared many years ago. I believe they are on the comeback!




When I was in Kelowna, visiting my brother and his family, I was introduced to their resident family of Horned Owl babies just leaving their nest! I managed to capture a few photos and glad that I did because a few days later, they 'flew the nest' and have not been seen since. It was a special opportunity to get a close look at these babies, because their nest was in the top of a tree, which was level with the bank on which their apple orchard and house sits. That made us level with them while they sat in the branches below the nest!




You can see that they still have some of their down baby feathers (fuzz) and they don't have their 'ears' or 'horns' yet. I believe these are Great Horned Owls or Grey Owls.

I don't believe in coincidences, and I noticed that the baby owls I was able to photograph are around the same stage of growth as the owls in my Burrowing Owl painting; I started that painting before I left for the Okanagan! Things that make you go, "hmmm".

I am so thankful for the opportunity to capture these beauties!


QUOTE OF THE DAY:

3000 years ago the prophet wrote, “For the Lord does not see as man sees; for man looks at the outward appearance, but God looks at the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7

No comments:

Post a Comment